Thursday, October 25, 2012

Week 9 Upset Alert

My upset picks have taken a down turn the past few weeks, so I am going to try to redeem myself this week.  I have learned my lesson with Oregon State, while I still think they are over-rated I will leave them off my upset watch this week with the hope that maybe they will lose this time around. 

Florida @ Georgia Saturday 3:30pm
Florida is somehow ranked number 2 in the BCS right now, which makes me really upset.  Obviously the computers or voters have not been actually watching football, but just looking at the scores.  At this point, in my mind, Oregon is clearly the 2nd best team in the country right now, but they are only number 4 in the standings.  I know this is not how the rankings will stay, but a playoff cannot come soon enough. Georgia is loaded with talent. They crashed and burned in their first marquee game of the year at South Carolina, but this is a rivalry game.  I think the Bulldogs had a little bit of a look ahead last weekend against Kentucky, and a line of 7 points in the Gators favor seems really high.  I think Georgia comes into the biggest cocktail party and really pushes Florida.  I think the talented defense will finally step up, and Florida heads back to the swamp out of BCS title contention. 

Ohio State @ Penn State Saturday 5:30pm
Like I mentioned in the B1G Week 8 recap, I think the Buckeyes are primed for a loss in the near future.  I dont know if the team is losing focus because they cannot win a B1G title this year, or they are getting overly confident, but they have flirted with the L quite a few times this season.  Saturday evening will be Ohio State's first major road test. Yes, they played in East Lansing, but Spartan Stadium is not Beaver Stadium.  It will be interesting to see if Braxton Miller is really 100% after going down last week.  I think the Ohio State offense will struggle with communication enough that it forces a few extra penalties or maybe even a turnover.  This game is the biggest of the Nittany Lion season, and I think they play up for it and take over as the Leaders Division's best team.

It is a short list this weekend, but a few more games to look out for will be to see how USC fares heading to Tucson where Rich Rod's team is a completely different beast at home.  The defense of the Trojans will be tested, it should be an exciting game though. I am going to be rooting hard for the Sooners this weekend when they host Notre Dame.  I think Oklahoma is the better team, but a 5th ranked team vs number 8 at home doesnt seem like an upset to me.  The last game to look out for will be Michigan State traveling to Wisconsin.  This has become quite the rivalry the past few years, and both teams are trending in opposite directions.  It will be interesting to see how the Spartans respond after a tough loss to big brother last week, if they show the heart that Spartan fans think they have this is going to be another fun game.  Wisconsin has not seen a defense like this, and I dont think they will be able to run wild against the green and white.  Will Joel Stave be able to make enough throws to pull out the win at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment