Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 6 Upset Alert

It is time for the weekly upset alert, and I am looking to continue my success from last week.  As I look through the week 6 schedule, I am not finding as many intriguing potential upsets.  There are some big games this week, but they will be broken down in a future post. 

Northwestern @ Penn State Saturday 12:00pm
The first stop this week will be in the B1G.  The Wildcats finally got recognized for their good 5-0 start to the season, but this week they are running into the hottest conference team on the road.  I don’t think the purple people can stay in the rankings after this one.  Who would have thought we would ever be saying Penn State is the conference’s best team after seeing them the first two weeks.  They have improved each week, and look like a team to cause some problems in the Leaders Division. I think the Nittany Lion defense is one of the best in the conference and should be able to stop the Wildcat rushing attack.  This will be the best defense Northwestern has faced this season.  Penn State should be able to score enough points at home to knock off the undefeated Wildcats.

Iowa State @ TCU Saturday 3:30pm
This one might be a little bit of a stretch, but I like what the Cyclones are doing in Ames these days.  I have not been overly impressed with the Frogs this season, and this game might be a little trap for them.  TCU cannot run the ball, and I think Iowa State is good enough to take advantage of the one-dimension.  Quarterback Pachall will likely have a big game through the air, but I think Jantz will make enough plays on the other side to keep ISU hanging around.

Miami @ Notre Dame Saturday 7:30pm
This pick might be a little biased, since I cant stand anything to do with the Irish, but I think Miami will give the golden domers a little welcome gift to the ACC.  Personally I just don’t think Notre Dame is that good, especially not the 9th best team in the country.  I mean any offense that gets shut down by Michigan this season is below average.  Miami is coming into this game on a hot streak, after getting bombed by Kansas State in the second week.  It looks like the Cane’s might be headed to the ACC Championship game this season.  It will be interesting to see how Te’o and company can slow down the high powered running attack from Miami.  While Notre Dame could pull out this victory, I think they might come crashing down to earth a bit and the nation will realize that “America’s team” is just a top 20 team and not BCS caliber.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is the first “monster” week of the season where ranked conference teams are squaring off in each league.  While some of the lower ranked teams might win these matchups, I don’t consider these much of an upset.  I will take a look at each of these 5 games later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment