Thursday, October 25, 2012

B1G Week 9 Preview

It is a big week in the B1G.  We should be able to find out the best teams in each division at this point in the season, and the bowl invites will start to work themselves out.  The power rankings should get a decent shake up next week.

Iowa (4-3, 2-1) @ Northwestern (6-2, 2-2) Saturday 12:00pm
The outcome of this game will go a long ways in determining bowl picks at the end of the season.  The winner of this game could sneak into a January 1st bowl, or even 2nd place in the Legends Division.  Mark Weisman should be healthier for the Hawkeyes this week, which will be a big challenge for the Wildcats to defend.  On the other side of the ball though, Venric Mark has been great all season and should continue this weekend.  I think this game comes down to the quarterbacks, and even with Northwestern's multiple quarterbacks they have performed better than James Vandenberg.  I think the Wildcats win a close game at home for homecoming.

Indiana (2-5, 0-3) @ Illinois (2-5, 0-3) Saturday 12:00pm
Could it really happen that one of these teams gets their first conference win before Purdue? It is definitely a possibility.  Illinois is just terrible this season, and even though these teams are ranked 11 and 12 respectively in my power rankings, there is a huge gap between them.  Even though the Hoosiers are on the road, I think they outscore the Illini and Indiana gets there first conference win for Coach Wilson.

Purdue (3-4, 0-3) @ Minnesota (4-3, 0-3) Saturday 3:30pm
This game could eliminate the loser from bowl contention, which is astounding since Purdue was "supposed" to be in Indy this season.  I dont know if Purdue has any fight left in them after blowing the game in Columbus last weekend. On paper this game should not be close, but the Boilers are just really struggling right now.  I think they are able to force at least one interception from the Gopher freshman quarterback, but I dont trust Caleb TerBush as far as I could throw him.  It has potential to be a very ugly game, but I think Minnesota pulls out the game with a late field goal. 

Michigan State (4-4, 1-3) @ Wisconsin (6-2, 3-1) Saturday 3:30pm
The Badgers have not seen a defense like the Spartans, but Michigan State would struggle to score in walk throughs right now. I just don't know if Andrew Maxwell can lead the offense into enough points to win this game.  They have not allowed over 20 points in any loss this season, yet their season is all but over.  I think Le'Veon Bell will bounce back a bit this game and get over 100 again.  The Spartan defense will slow the Badger running attack, but I think Stave is able to hit a receiver or tight end for one big play off of play action.  I dont think Wisconsin gets to 20 points, but finds a way to win the game and the Spartans are in jeopardy of making a bowl game.

Ohio State (8-0, 4-0) @ Penn State (5-2, 3-0) Saturday 5:30pm
In my game of the week, Happy Valley should be rocking for their biggest home game of the season.  The winner will take the title of best team in the Leaders Division.  Ohio State has been flirting with their first loss of the season for most of the year, and I think this is the week it happens.  I would like them to stay undefeated until Michigan heads down there, but a Buckeye loss is not the end of the world. Penn State has a very good defense, and the only good defense they have seen held them to 17 points.  I think Mauti and company will slow down the Buckeye offense enough to give McGloin and company a chance in this game.  I dont trust Ohio State's defense, and Penn State is playing its best football of the season right now.  I think they make enough plays to beat the Buckeyes by less than a touchdown.  If Braxton Miller is fully healthy, then it could be a different story, but I think he has his worst game of the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment