Thursday, October 18, 2012

Week 8 Upset Alert

I was not as successful with my upset picks last week, so I am looking to rebound in week 8.  As I look at the slate of games this week, I am finding it difficult to find multiple choices for this entry.

LSU @ Texas A&M Saturday 12:00pm
LSU is coming off of a big win against South Carolina where they played their best game of the season.  If the Tigers can continue that play on the road this week, LSU should have little trouble against the Aggies. The problem is that I don't think this team can play back to back high level games, and their offense seems to really struggle on the road.  I am really excited to see A&M freshman quarterback Manziel against the stout defensive line from LSU.  The SEC opener of A&M vs Florida is shaping up to be one of the best games in the entire conference this season.  TAMU has one of the best offenses in the conference, and the best rushing attack in the country, LSU prides itself on stopping the run.  Something will have to break in this game.

Virginia Tech @ Clemson Saturday 12:00pm
Virginia Tech looked dead last week as they started down 20-0 against Duke in the first quarter.  They roared back quickly to win 41-20.  I think that win gave this Hokie team some confidence heading into the showdown at Clemson.  On paper, this game doesnt look like it will be close, but the problem is that I have so little respect for the ACC that I think any team can beat another any week.  Also, I don't like much about Clemson, so go Hokies.

Kansas State @ West Virginia Saturday 7:00pm
The Mountaineers are coming off a complete beat down last week against Texas Tech.  I have to believe that they will have to bounce back this weekend.  West Virginia kept flirting with close games the prior two weeks, and Tech was able to just knock them out at home.  I think Geno Smith and company are refocused and will look like one of the best teams in the Big12 again this weekend.  As much as I like Kansas State most years, I just really think they are over-rated in the top 5, and I am still a little upset that they were ranked higher at the end of 2011 than Michigan was.  I know the Wildcat defense is one of the best in the no defense league, but I think Geno will be better at home and lead his team to a marquee victory.

Reach pick: Florida State @ Miami Saturday 8:00pm
I will use my logic from above, that I don't respect anyone in the ACC and really don't like Florida State.  So, as bad as Miami looked against Notre Dame, I think they can bounce back and make this game a little more respectable against their rival.  Now, this is a long reach, because the Seminoles could just as easily win by 45+ points.

No comments:

Post a Comment