Sunday, November 20, 2011

Michigan Football

So yesterday the Michigan football team played the Cornhuskers in a welcome to the Big House/ B1G game.  Honestly, before the game I was expecting a very close, hard hitting game that would go down to the wire.  I thought most Michigan fans were over-hyped after playing pretty badly against a horrible Illinois team while still beating them easily.

I thought the game against Nebraska would have a 14-10 halftime score, which wasn't too far off.  But, the second half was extremely enjoyable.  The Michigan defense showed that its dominating effort against Illinois was not a fluke, and Al Borges finally looks comfortable calling plays with Denard as the QB.  The special teams even looked pretty good.  It seems like this team is peaking at the perfect time. 

I was really impressed with both of the lines again yesterday.  I actually think Molk and Martin have a decent chance at getting some All-American votes.  Also, Denard looked comfortable in the pocket and for the first time since the Minnesota game, decisive while running the ball.  It is amazing how much the same team can improve from last year, and also from the beginning of this season.  I was very excited for Brady Hoke to take over the team back in January, but I would have never thought the improvements would be this drastic this fast: 2011 team on the verge of a BCS bowl berth (more on this later) and a top 5 recruiting class for 2012. 

I thought that yesterday's game vs. Nebraska was the best football game a Michigan team has played since the 2008 Capital One Bowl. 

What does this mean moving forward:  It is officially Ohio week, and it was pretty cool to see how excited Coach Hoke was when he was finally able to talk about the game next Saturday.  Even though it has been 7 years since we have been the truck drivers and criminals from the worst state ever and I can barely remember the joy of beating them... I think this year is setting up perfectly for Hoke's first of many wins against those people down there.  The seniors on this team are 0-7 vs State and Ohio, I dont think there has ever been a class that went 0-8.  The seniors on this team have been through so much controversy, turmoil, and have perservered through it as "Michigan Men." This weekend will the fans turn to honor them, and I would imagine the cheers are going to be VERY loud. Meanwhile, Ohio is coming off of 2 straight losses and have looked terrible in doing so.  Their defense is pretty tough, but their offense is anemic.  I think the only way they hang around next week is if we have some bad turnovers (which Denard has been capable of providing) which result in touchdowns for Ohio's defense. I am interested in seeing how the M faithful turn out for this weekend's game seeing how it is Thanksgiving weekend and many students will be at home.  Could it be a repeat of the 2007 OSU game where Ohio-ans filled what seemed like a majority of the stadium? I hope not.

Anyways, this week is going to be one of the best of the year, and I am looking forward to it. 

***Since this is supposed to be my version of a radio show, I will need a signature sign off.  I will take any suggestions, but for now:***

"This is Michigan for God sake" & Go Blue.

2 comments:

  1. Ideas for sign-off:
    1. "Until you merge into my lane again, I'm Justin Koehn." GO Blue!
    2. "Exiting the lane for now, I'm Justin Koehn" Go Blue!
    3. "Keeping you in the sporting fast lane, I'm Justin Koehn" Go Blue!
    4. "Raising the speed limit on Michigan sports, I'm Justin Koehn" Go Blue!
    5. "Forever driving Maize and Blue, I'm Justin Koehn" Go Blue!

    Seriously, when this takes off, I'm totally writing your marketing campaign. These are gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, those are pretty good. Except for the first one. "Merge into my lane" sounds like a creepy come-on.

    Thanks for the blog invite Justin; looking forward to reading. :)

    ReplyDelete