Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Explaning my strong dislike for Sparty

Recently, I have been asked why I hate or dislike our little brother from East Lansing, and also I am just getting really sick of Sparty fans complaining about this football season.

So where I grew up the in-state rival between us and State was more heated than us vs Ohio, and even us vs the golden domers.  The little farm town was full of farm boys and Sparty lovers.  I also grew up showing steers in 4-H, as you can imagine there are not many Michigan fans in that hobby.  So I constantly was mocked for liking Michigan, and received phone calls after any Michigan loss in football or loss to Sparty in any sport.

I know there are a ton of "Wal-mart Wolverines" out there, but I was surrounded by Spartan slappies that had no affiliations with the school or any knowledge of anything related to sports.  They just felt the connection to MSU because of the ag school.  My very first Michigan football game happened to be the Braylon take over against MSU.  I was invited by a former MSU softball player who wanted to invite me because she was convinced ole Lion's standout Drew Stanton would lead her beloved Sparty to victory.  She wanted to go to the Big House to celebrate with her Spartan brethren, and rub it in my face at the same time. As you probably know, Braylon had one of the best games that a Michigan receiver ever had. It was a glorious game. So I have lived with these confused souls all of my life, and I dont like most of what Spartan fans stand for (love for Dantonio because he hates Michigan, I think he could go 1-11 and beat us and never lose his job, disregard to their national leading amount of personal fouls against Michigan, I could go on and on). 

That takes me to my current annoyance with the Sparty lovers.  I keep reading different articles all week about how Michigan State will get the shaft for the second year in a row because if they lose the B1G championship game, it appears they will drop from the Rose Bowl to the Outback, and we will be headed to the Sugar Bowl.  But I think I can say this with the support of most Michigan fans, that I would gladly trade spots with MSU right now.  Because the goal of most B1G teams is the Rose Bowl, the Grand Daddy of them all, the greatest bowl ever, etc, etc... The only way to get to this game in the current B1G format is to go to the championship game to win one last game.  We have no chance of making the Rose Bowl this year, or winning the conference, but State does.  So if they are more worried about us making a BCS bowl and them getting the shaft again then focusing on their game this weekend I would trade them in an instant.  I would love to be watching my team play one more game, to be pumped up for one more week, knowing that there is a chance we could lose and our bowl outcome would be affected.  In reality I would trade the Sugar Bowl over a chance at the Rose Bowl.  Just the chance is all fans can ask for.  Why are Spartan fans already counting on them losing and us going to a better bowl game?  Why do they care about us more than looking forward to the first B1G championship game?  I dont understand it.  Also, at this point MSU should also be hoping we do make a BCS bowl game.  Lets say Wisconsin wins the game on Saturday and go to the Rose Bowl, but Michigan finishes ranked number 15 in the BCS.  We would not be eligible for the Sugar Bowl.  The Capital One Bowl gets the first pick of the remaining B1G teams, and taking a 2 loss Michigan is the most attractive left.  The Florida bowls have already shown a ton of interest in bringing Nebraska there for the first time, so they would slip to the Outback Bowl.  The Gator Bowl has its matchup of Florida v Ohio.  This leaves the Insight Bowl, which is a pre-New Year's bowl.  Hah, talk about getting the shaft.  Sorry Sparty, but I think you would rather be in the Outback in my opinion. But, maybe you could actually win the Insight Bowl... maybe.  I never would think that going to the conference championship game would be such a burden. I guess we can only hope that Michigan can take this problem off of their hands for the next long while.

Poor Sparty.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha "Spartan slappies", love it! Since I grew up in similar demographics, the MSU rivalry is more personal to me than the OSU rivalry. What I mean is that while I hate Ohio more than any other team, I get more grief over losing to MSU, so I can relate.

    The fact that MSU spends so much energy worrying about UM jumping them in bowl selections rather than taking care of business in the B1GCG plays right into the inferiority complex they exhibit time and time again. It's why all those Sparty slappies only have something to say during Michigan week, and have no idea about the rest of the season. "Little brother" truly is the perfect moniker.

    ReplyDelete