Thursday, October 10, 2013

Week 7 Upset Alert


Don't worry, your favorite blogger made it back from Japan.  The week went very quickly, and I was too busy to keep up with my week 6 blog duties. In case you were wondering about my trip, it was incredible and I hope I have the opportunity to go back in the future. Anyways, back to the regularly scheduled program.  Week 7 offers some interesting matchups that could result in an upset, so lets take a look.

#12 Oklahoma vs Texas
I will continue to ride this Sooner train until they get knocked out of the unbeaten ranks. I just do not think Oklahoma is very good this year, but either is the entire Big 12. Unfortunately, Texas is one of the few teams that has the athletes to pull off this upset.  It seems like the Longhorns are adjusting reasonably well to the new defensive coordinator.  I picked Notre Dame to beat Oklahoma, and if not for Tommy Rees’ complete mental lapse in the game the Irish likely would have won.  I don’t think David Ash will have as many horrible turnovers, which should allow Texas to score enough points at home to scare the Sooners.

#19 Northwestern vs Wisconsin
I think the Wildcats are easily the second best team in the B1G, but they are coming off of a very tough loss to Ohio State when they had the lead late into the 3rd quarter. Now they have to head on the road, and Wisconsin is likely the third best team in the conference right now. The Wildcats could not contain the Buckeye rushing attack, and the Badgers have one of the best in the country.  I think James White and Melvin Gordon will have huge days on the ground. 

There are also a couple of games to keep an eye on.  Louisville plays Rutgers tonight, and this shapes up to be the Cardinals toughest opponent this season.  If they have aspirations of playing in the national championship game, UL will need to have an impressive showing tonight.  The Scarlett Knights are a team with an actual pulse that could make things difficult on Teddy Bridgewater.  Also, Oregon plays Washington.  After the Huskies pushed Stanford to the brink last weekend, it looks like they are a legitimate team.  In order for them to play in the Pac12 championship game they will have to beat Oregon, which is no small task.  I think the Washington defense can slow down the Ducks more than any team Oregon has played this season.  The problem is that likely means Oregon still scored 40 points. I don’t think Keith Price can put up those kind of numbers against the most impressive team so far this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment