Thursday, September 6, 2012

Week 2 Upset Alert

There weren't any major upsets in the first week of the season, but some of the teams on "Upset Alert" did have their hands full.  Week 2 could present an actual upset or two, but should definitely have more close games.  Again, I will go from start time (not in the order I think an upset will happen).

UCF @ Ohio St Saturday 12:00pm
UCF is now in Conference USA and will likely be one of the best teams in the conference this season.  We will not see them in a bowl game (just like OSU) because of NCAA sanctions.  This is likely their biggest stage of the season.  Ohio St just got done rolling a bad MAC team.  They looked shaky on offense at times, but then found a groove later in the game.  I think the Bucknuts will start slowly again, and Braxton Miller will be throwing some wounded ducks around the 'Shoe.  I actually wouldnt be surprised if UCF had the lead going into halftime. The difference will be the 2nd half, where both of Ohio's lines will start to wear down an overmatched Knights team. 

Miami @ Kansas St Saturday 12:00pm
Miami looked pretty talented in their opener against Boston College, and KSU greatly over achieved last season.  I think this one could be a high scoring affair, but the Canes have more talent in the skill positions and could beat the Wildcats.  The only problem is Miami will not have an answer for QB Klein in this one.

Purdue @ Notre Dame Saturday 3:30pm
Purdue hasnt won in this series since 2007, but I think they have their best chance to this week.  Notre Dame might be a little off from their trip to Ireland last week, and they also could be looking forward to next weekend in East Lansing. I think the Boilermakers will at least give the Irish a game in the first half, and if they can generate some pash rush against Gholston this could be quite the game.  This game will show if the Boilers have potential to push Wisconsin in the Leaders division.

Washington @ LSU Saturday 7:00pm
I don't think the Huskies will win this game, but I do think they can be the third best team in the Pac12 this year.  Playing for third behind USC and Oregon isn't a bad year.  I like what Skarsian has done in the recruiting world over the past 3 years, and this could be the year that the talent sees the field.  I don't think LSU is on the same level as Alabama this year, but playing a Saturday night game in Tiger Stadium is no easy task.  I think LSU overpowers Washington in the 2nd half, but for some reason I think the final will be closer than expected.

Nebraska @ UCLA Saturday 7:30pm
The Big Red's offense looked unstoppable in week 1, but their defense left little to be desired.  I don't think UCLA is as talented as the Huskers, but I think this game will be pretty high scoring.  I don't see Taylor Martinez losing on his homecoming though. 

Georgia @ Missouri Saturday 7:45pm
Georgia has the better team, and it really isnt close.  However, this is the first SEC game ever at Missouri so the fans should make the game loud for the Dawgs.  I have a feeling Murray will pick the Tiger secondary apart for most of the night, but the first quarter (or even half) could be pretty fun to watch.

I don't know why I feel this, but I think Purdue has the best chance of pulling the upset over the Irish this weekned.  With the short practice week with the travel and a top 10 team coming up next week, I don't see Notre Dame being very focused in this one.  I think Ricardo Allen and Caleb TerBush make enough plays for the Boilers to get the close win.

No comments:

Post a Comment