Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Week 13 Upset Alert


My upset picks have been a little lacking the past 2 weeks.  I did pick Syracuse over Louisville, but laughed at people who thought Texas A&M even had a chance against Alabama.  Then this past week I didn’t even write this entry because I wasn’t drawn to any of the games.  So, let’s try this again in Week 13. 

Rutgers @ Pittsburgh Saturday 12:00pm
I know the Scarlet Knights are excited to join the Big Ten, but I am not very impressed with their football team.  I have seen Pitt improve though out this season with a win over Virginia Tech and a game they should have won in South Bend.  I think Paul Chryst’s bunch can pull off this upset this week. 

Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma Saturday 3:30pm
The Sooners were lucky to escape Morgantown with a win last week, and if West Virginia had any semblance of a defense they would have likely got blown out.  Oklahoma State is playing very well right now.  Their offense has improved dramatically throughout the season, and their defense is again forcing turnovers like last year.  I think the Cowboys can go on the road and pull the upset.

Stanford @ UCLA Saturday 6:30pm
I know that Stanford is rated higher than the Bruins right now, but I wouldn’t consider this a huge upset.  A UCLA win, however, will put Oregon into the Pac12 championship game against UCLA for the 2nd straight season.   UCLA is playing extremely well right now, and I just don’t think Stanford is that good.  I know their defense played their best game of the season last week in Eugene, but I don’t know if they can replicate it on the road again.  James Franklin has become one of the best running backs in the country, and freshman quarterback Hundley continues to improve.  Also, this is another game that would help the Pac12 not get a 2nd BCS team, which could leave a spot open for my own team, so I might be a little biased. J

Notre Dame @ USC Saturday 8:00pm
I am sorry, but I cannot stand Notre Dame and their “dream season.”  The so-called toughest schedule in the nation preseason is turning out to be very average.  The Irish seem to get every break go their way when a game is close.  One part of me doesn’t want to see another all SEC championship game, but I think a bigger part of me doesn’t want to see the purple-people-eater and golden domes playing for a meaningful game ever. It is not 1990. USC seems to have checked in this season and Matt Barkley is out for this game, but Notre Dame is one of the Trojan’s big rivals.  I think they keep it close, and who knows what can happen when Notre Dame finally plays an offense that has potential to put up points.  Logically I still don’t know who to root for in this one, but I will likely end up screaming at the tv for USC to destroy Kelly and company.

On a side note I think Florida State will beat Florida too, but I don’t really consider the number 10 team beating number 4 at home a huge upset.  Especially when I think the Gators are over-rated by a couple spots and the Seminoles under-rated by a similar amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment