Sunday, December 4, 2011

Michigan vs Virginia Tech in the 2012 Sugar Bowl

The BCS voters got a few things right, but certainly not everything.  Why can't we just get a playoff to decide this crap on the field.

The BCS standings were released before the bowl selections like usual, and some of the final rankings are very questionable. First off, one of the positions that didnt matter much, but how does a team move up 4 spots by beating a 6-7 UCLA team at home by less than the spread?  While I think Oregon is very talented, their conference championship victory did very little to impress me enough to move up more than 1 or 2 spots. It also is a shame that Oklahoma St had to lose the one game to Iowa St earlier this year.  I do actually think Alabama is the 2nd best team in the nation, but they also had their chance to beat the #1 team at home and didnt do it. I would really love to see Ok St's 4 receiver spread against the best secondary in college football that I ever remember seeing.  All 5 defensive backs should be drafted in the first 3 rounds, and will likely be starters in their rookie season. WOW!

Let's move on.... How does a team that plays 1 ranked team twice in a season, and gets dominated by that one team in both chances only falls to number 11?!?  Wait, what?  Virginia Tech played 1 ranked team this year, Clemson.  And they didnt even compete in either of those games.  How does this warrant a top 12 finish? I think Georgia, Michigan, Baylor, MSU, Oklahoma (just off the top of my head) are all better than Va Tech, and all of these teams finished below the Hokies.  So, I think we have a good chance at beating Va Tech in the bowl game, and it is a better matchup than Houston, TCU, or Boise St. But there are so many other more deserving teams out there. 

I dont like MSU, not at all, but how do you play a team basically even with you in the standings, on a neutral field, and lose on a late special teams penalty after beating them once already in the season and fall 4 spots to number 17?  There is no way that MSU should be that low.  Absolutely no way. 

I am glad that the rankings did not put TCU into the top 16 for the automatic bid, so I would rather watch us play the Hokies. 

I think the standard SEC-B1G matchups should be pretty evenly matched (no MSU v Bama this year).  Nebraska should be able to hang with SCar, they can run the ball and stop run decently well.  Could be a low scoring game. MSU vs Georgia should be a really exciting game.  I think State can hang with them, and if Dantonio doesnt decide to make one of his bone head decisions I think they might actually win the game. 

But, I will try to limit my complaints, since we are 10-2 and in a BCS bowl for the first time in 5 years!  Go Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment