Monday, June 4, 2012

My trip to Fenway, and another live Tigers loss


For my 1 year wedding anniversary, my wife and I headed out east to spend the long Memorial Day weekend in Boston.  In order to move onto sports as soon as possible, I will just say that Boston is an amazing city and I hope that Chelsea and I can go back there again.  While there we of course had to visit Fenway Park (and lucky us the Tigers were in town for Memorial Day). 

Fenway reminded me a lot of Wrigley Field in the seating design and feel of the stadium.  Its old people.  It turned 100 this year, and is still the pride and joy of all Bostonians. It is a beautiful park.  Our seats were down the right field line pretty close to Pesky Pole.  The seats were facing the Green Monster (not home plate), and since the seating incline is so shallow it was pretty difficult for Chelsea to see much of the infield action.  After the top of the 2nd inning she turned to me and said, I am glad we get to go to Comerica to watch the Tigers. Also, since it is an old park, the seats are pretty cramped.  I am not that tall, and I didn’t even have much leg room.  But this park is not about the comfort or the viewing angles, it is about tradition and being absolutely unique.  There is not another park like it anywhere in the world. 



Another thing that made the visit so great was we were surrounded by Tigers fans and very friendly Sox fans. It might have helped that the game wasn’t close for much of it.  Us Detroit fans had a few things to cheer about though, the Delmon bomb, the Leyland ejection, and Luis Marte pitching lights out for his first outing of the season.  On top of all of this, the weather was beautiful. 

Memorial Day at Fenway was a special event.  It began with the flag covering the entire Green Monster and the Coast Guard Quartet performing the Star Spangled Banner. After every inning different veterans were recognized and given standing ovations.  It was a special day in Boston. Then possibly the best part of the day was singing Sweet Caroline with 36,000 other people. 

Like Chelsea, I am glad that our home park is as comfortable and beautiful as Comerica Park, but Fenway was a great experience with such a unique environment.  I am very thankful my wife likes baseball enough to go to a city where the Tigers are playing for our anniversary trip.  I snagged a keeper, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment