Thursday, April 26, 2012

NFL Draft is here!

To some people, tonight can feel like Christmas morning.  It is a night that offers hope and excitement to NFL fans and teams.  After months of evaluations, combines, interviews, and mock drafts, the real thing is finally here.  Since the Lions are my NFL team, I want to take a look into their draft mentality and throw out some names that I think would improve the up and coming team.  Also, since I think mock drafts are about as useful as wet toliet paper, I want to take a shot at some sure-fire picks and potential busts.

Even though our very own Detroit Lions were a playoff team last year, they have a lot of needs in this year's draft.  They can draft almost any defensive position, and pick up some reinforcements for the offensive line.  I personally think their biggest need is in pass defense. They currently have 1 legitimate corner back returning in the secondary.  It is the same secondary that made the 2010 Michigan defense look amazing.  Matt Flynn should send them all thank you cards, because his 1,000 yard 10 TD performance against us in week 17 made him a lot of money in the offseason.  This 2012 draft class is extremely deep in the secondary, and I think the Lions should do what they can (without trading up) to pick up 2 back end defenders in their first 3 or 4 picks.  Dre Kirkpatrick, Stephon Gilmore, or Mark Barron seem to be sure picks if they are available by pick 23.  If all of these guys have been picked earlier in the round, I think the Lions should try to trade down to accumulate another 2nd or 3rd round pick.  As much as Janoris Jenkins' off-field issues have become public, I think he is the 2nd best cover corner in this draft.  I think he will be around late in round 1, so a trade down to 29 or so would still allow Detroit to pick up a starter opposite of Chris Houston. 

The other avenue the Lions management can take is to bulk up their defensive line, and continue to prove this is the strength of the defense.  The best way to make a cornerback look like an All-Pro is to put him on a team that gets to the quarterback all the time. The pass rushing depth in this class is also extremely deep.  If the top 3 choices are not around, and the Lions cannot find a trade partner a DE has to be the next option.  With Cliff Avril likely to be gone after the year and VandenBoesch in a contract year, the defensive ends need some help.  Also, an addition with a highly touted end will decrease Avril's leverage over the Lions to sign him to a high paying, long term contract.  A few DE's that I would look at are Courtney Upshaw, Whitney Mercilus, or Chandler Jones.

Ideally I would like Stephon Gilmore to head to the Motor City with the first round pick, and if not then taking Janoris Jenkins after a trade down.  If the Lions do not take a DB with their first pick, they put themselves in a corner and almost HAVE to pick a cornerback with their 2nd round pick.  I would be angry, and maybe a little sick to my stomach, if the Lions trade up again for the 3rd straight draft.  Depending on what they give up, my anger would subside a bit if they were able to pick up a player like Barron.  I would also be upset if a running back is selected at any point in the first 2 days of the draft (1st-3rd round). 

Justin's Draft Locks:
All of the Bama defensive prospects. Ok, ok maybe not all of them, but I think these guys are more NFL ready than most others just because of the coaching and system that they run down there.  I would be very comfortable with any of their first rounders jumping into the Lions roster and competing for a starting spot immediately.  I like the Stanford guard DeCastro and their TE Colby Fleener, I like WR Stephen Hill and finally DE Brockers. 

Potential Busts:
QB Tannehil, since Luck and RGIII are locks for the top 2 picks it will leave the lower part of the top 10 in a place to reach for a QB prospect.  The lucky pick this year is Tannehil, and I just dont think he is the answer as an NFL starter.  Dontari Poe, DT from Memphis.  He is the top performing defensive tackle from the combine, but I think he is more of a workout warrior and not an NFL Pro-Bowler.  Finally, I think Justin Blackmon is a little over-rated.  Yes, he is a very good receiver, and I am sure he will have a nice NFL career, but for being a top 5 pick I dont think his numbers will match his draft pick.  He just is not as athletic or physical as Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson, and I think his offensive system in college inflated his numbers quite a bit.  As much as I dont like to say it, I think Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd will be one of the best WR's coming out of this draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment