Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Michigan Wolverines are still my champion


I have taken a mini-break from my daily blog entries to try and just sit back and enjoy the Michigan Wolverines making a Final Four, and national championship game run.  Even though I was not able to go to Atlanta, I wanted to just let this surreal experience wash over me.  The 2012-2013 Michigan basketball team seemed like a team of destiny. Each time a new obstacle was thrown its way, somebody was going to step up to lead the way around it.  But, for some reason, last night just was not meant to be. 

As the sadness and disappointment hung on my shoulders this morning, I wanted to blame the questionable calls from the officials, or the terrible defensive rebounding in the second half, or bad clock management at the end of the game, but I couldn’t.  The Wolverines ran out of gas, but still left what little remained in the tank on the floor.  Yes, Michigan surrendered 1.26 ppp, which was the worst defensive performance of the entire season, but in return the nation’s best offense also carved up Louisville’s top defense to the tune of 1.17ppp.  Yes, the officiating was horrendous, but there were terrible calls made against both teams.  Yes Michigan wasted 21 of the final 50 seconds, but the Cardinals had a 2 possession lead and were knocking down free throws.  Louisville was the better team last night, but it doesn’t take away the fact that it was one of the best basketball games of the entire season.  How often does that happen on Championship Monday? However, one thing that we can agree on is that Michigan deserved to be on the biggest stage. 

So now as time continues to roll on, and last night moves further in the past, I am left with feeling proud and thankful.  I am proud of where the coaching staff has elevated the program I love.  I am thankful for all the moments I will never forget from the past 5 months.  I am proud of the way this team fought until the end.  I am thankful that I was able to see the best player to come through the Michigan program since the 1960’s.  Finally, I am proud to call the University of Michigan my alma mater.

I’ll admit that I got caught up in the frustrations of last night’s game; with my voice taking the brunt of the abuse, but I was able to watch my team on the biggest stage, one last time.  While the networks and “experts” will be quick to forget the team that came in second, Team 96 will forever be cemented in my memory.  Not only for just what they accomplished, but what they stood for.  I guess for that, these Michigan Wolverines actually were a team of destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment